Simply beautiful...

Simply beautiful...

Monday, October 18, 2010

Healthy Snacking

Four weeks ago, my husband and I returned home from the hospital after welcoming our second child into our family. Prior to going into labor, I had been spending some time thinking about what constitutes a healthy snack. Now that I'm done being pregnant and looking to get back into shape, I'm focused on making smart decisions about what I eat and getting some good exercise.

When discussing the topic of snacks with others, I often hear concerns that if they eat a snack between meals, this will inevitably lead to weight gain. This concern is valid... if you don't make wise, nutrient-rich choices and watch your portion control. Otherwise, healthy snacks can contribute to getting all the essential vitamins and minerals, as well as helping ward off being overly-hungry walking into your next meal... (this = a disaster waiting to happen).

I found a few helpful resources when looking into this topic. One of my favorite websites is the American Dietetic Association website at eatright.org. It was there that I found a great pdf handout called "Smart Snacking for Adults and Teens". Another fun website I love for recipe ideas and mini articles is Martha Stewart's Whole Living website where I found this article. A friend of mine recommended Eating Well magazine and it was on their website that I've found some great recipes like this one!

I love getting new ideas and inspirations so I am curious... what is your favorite healthy snack?

No comments:

Post a Comment