Simply beautiful...

Simply beautiful...

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Happy Belated Easter!

Our family enjoyed a wonderful weekend celebrating what Jesus did for us on the cross.  It was full of family, food, love and laughter.  On Saturday night, we hosted the annual Rispler German-inspired dinner which included an easter egg hunt for the kids, great conversations, and a meal I wish we could have more often.  Even though we were dead-dog tired the next morning, from the party and previous weeks of travel for Jeremy and life's usual hectic-ness, we got up to make it to our church's early service at 8:15am.  We are so thankful to have found a home church this year, a place that is authentic and makes Jesus and our faith come alive.  Church was immediately followed by Harper asking if we were going to get a scone... this is one of the negatives of our church... it's located next door to an amazing French bakery.  Trouble.

Yes, we went next door and had a small bite to eat and enjoyed the company of my sister who had come to church with us.  As soon as we arrived home, the kids crashed for their naps and Jeremy and I crashed on the couch while watching the Masters.  Silly as it may sound, because it's absolutely not the point of Easter, I love watching the Masters on Easter... something about it brings back so many family memories from Easters past.

Later in the afternoon, we drove up to beautiful Multnomah Falls to meet Jeremy's parents for lunch.  It was one of the more beautiful days (i.e., not raining) in Oregon as of recently.  We enjoyed their company, even though Jeremy and I cringed at how our kiddos handled sitting for this meal - just one of those days.  After our meal, we took a "hike" up to the first bridge of the trail to see the falls...  Bentley did quite awesome, wanting to walk most of the way!  That place is so breathtaking and our kids loved that ;)

On a serious note, apart from the normal hustle and bustle of seeing family, I am so grateful, thankful and awe-struck when I reflect on what Jesus accomplished on the cross and how he rose from the dead.  To be honest, sometimes I find it hard to wrap my mind around this sacrifice.  One thing I have experienced, is that ever since Bentley was born, this sacrifice means a little more to my heart.  I often find myself rocking him at bedtime and as I'm holding my precious little boy, I cannot escape singing praises to God in my heart for actually choosing to sacrifice his son for me and my brokenness.  Perspective.

This coming Saturday will mark seven years since my brother Jeffrey died.  It always seems to hit me just a little differently each year.  This year, with Easter just passing... I feel evermore grateful for the hope we have in Christ rising from the dead, conquering death.  I am so thankful that my brother was a believer and that Christ's actions allow me to hope... to not be overtaken by death.  Death may brush up against us for a moment, but the hope of life is eternal.  Thank you, thank you Jesus!
The Easter bunny came and left some goodies that our kids don't normally get!

I am trying so hard to watch my kids sugar-intake due to a handful of things I've been reading lately... but Easter sure doesn't make that easy.  More on that a different time.

Swift family 2012

Harper and OoOo admiring God's creation

Bentley was so excited to see the falls, he kept screaming over and over.

Harper and Bentley with their OoOo... sorry Nana, we didn't get a shot with you!


No comments:

Post a Comment