Simply beautiful...

Simply beautiful...

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

5 Years and Counting

This past weekend, Jeremy and I celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary!  Is it bad to say?  Sometimes it feels like we've been married forever - I don't think my life truly started until Jeremy entered the picture... Other moments, the 5 years feel like just a breath - I can remember our wedding day with crystal clarity.

Our plans of a 5 year getaway didn't get to happen this year, but we were blessed beyond belief when my sister graced us with her care for our kids, so we could have an evening to celebrate.

We enjoyed dinner at "OUR" restaurant, Clark Lewis... it's the place where we had our first date and have celebrated many milestones since.  We literally always enjoy a good laugh thinking back to that very first official date as a couple, since Lord knows why (!!!) I decided to wear a ankle-lenth skirt while at the same time sporting hairy legs!  And yes, Jeremy DID notice... I knew as soon I got asked out for a second date, that Jeremy was different... he had to posses depth and grace ;)
After dinner, we went to see the musical Jersey Boys downtown.  Since it was a last minute plan B, I can't say I was overly excited going into it.  I was happy to be out with my love, but I hadn't really thought about the show.  But my hubby knew better... as soon as the lights went down and the singing and dancing began... I had a grin on my face for the next 2+ hours solid and was giddy like a kid in a candy shop.  Jeremy and I agree, in another lifetime... I would have been a dancer.  I think it's the other thing, like writing, that makes me feel alive... I've done a bit in my past, but is it too late to take dance lessons when you're going to be turning 30?!?  It was a VERY fun time with Jeremy.

If the evening had been a normal date... like any parents with young children... we would have headed home and gone straight to bed.  But it wasn't a normal date, so we decided to go down to 23rd street to be young again and reminisce about the first time we "hung out" as friends.  Maybe this sounds odd to many, but the first time we hung out as friends was magical and we both remember it well.  It was a warm summer night, while we sat on some whimsical stairs on a shop front drinking coffee and talking about everything we could touch upon before my curfew (Yes... I was still in high school ;)  It was when we found out the other person was special... memorably special.  Like "I could marry you" special.  But it wasn't our time.  God had us go our separate ways for the next 5 years without a single interaction or conversation, without a single hope to ever see each other again... except for our very magical memory together on 23rd street back in 1999.  Even though all the coffee shops were closed on 23rd street after the show (due to an E. coli scare in the water!), we grabbed ice cream cones and found the very steps where the magic all began... and re-created that moment in time.  It was the perfect evening.

That single memory from 1999 on 23rd street held tight to each of our hearts for years... through our growing up into adults, through our search for our faith, through career choices, through the heart break of other broken relationships, through experiencing life... and death.  God had given us a glimpse at what was to come and planted a seed that survived our storms.  Nothing is more clear to me... God brought us together, at the perfect time, in the perfect way.

I am so deeply thankful for you, babe.  For the perfect man that you are for ME.  I know we got hurled into the parent-thing much quicker than we anticipated... but there is no better friend, no better lover to go through life's twists and turns, joys and pains with.  You inspire me to be great.  You encourage me that I am enough.  You make me laugh and love life more.  You constantly point me towards Jesus.  You hold my hand when words are not enough.  You show up and truly love me every day.  These have been, by far, the best 5 years of my life.  My heart is overflowing...

I love Song of Songs 2:3, in regards to you babe, "Like an apple tree among the trees of the forest, is my lover among the young men.  I delight to sit in his shade, and his fruit is sweet to my taste."

I love you my sweet... and I look forward to every day of our life.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats swifts! What find memories from that weekend! We love u and are so glad you're in our lives!

    ReplyDelete